Read: The Other Side of Silence, by Urvashi Butalia

Review:
“I finally finished the book on The Other Side of Silence, by Urvashi Butalia. It was an intense, descriptive, and an emotional read.  Urvashi managed to talk to some people, that I imagine would have been difficult for individuals to unburden their heavy heart and expose their story. It was especially difficult for the women who faced rape and abduction. I was alarmed on hearing some of the narratives on these women, especially the mass suicide in Thao Khalsa in Rawalpindi, where 84 women jumped in the well saving themselves from either being converted, abducted, killed, or raped. One woman, Basant Kaur, jumped into the well — but it was so full of corpses, she did not drown. She attempted this four times.
Many women offered themselves up for death without no fear, as they would rather die than to be converted or raped. Once a loving community of Sikh, Hindus and Muslims living together, here they were now killing each other.
It was heartbreaking to read this… how could it have happened? The horrific event has left victims who are still affected today.”

The Other Side of Silence, by Urvashi Butalia